Saturday, November 14, 2009

Halloween

I love Halloween! One of my favorite holidays. The wind is blowing, the leaves are falling, the temperature drops and the the feeling is fun. It's not a creepy or scary feeling, it's just...fun!
The kids and I took Grandma and Grandpa with us to this great pumpkin patch out in Kuna this year. They are an organic farm that allows customers to come and pick their own pumpkins out of the pumpkin patch. The farm owner gave us a hayride with his tractor out to the pumpkin patch where we got to pick our own pumpkin that was still on the vine. Sami wasn't much for the hayride as you will see in the following photos. She was pretty happy when we got off. We had fun looking for each of our pumpkins and in the midst of it all Seth found these great gourds that were yellow and warted with green, candle wax-like drippings down the sides. I decided we would purchase those with our pumpkins because they were fabulous. After picking our pumpkins the farmer came back to pick us up and load our goodies in the wagon. Sami enjoyed this ride much better. It might have been that she found her own special rock in the pumpkin patch that she could share the ride with. Seth on the other hand, taps my shoulder during the return hayride and says, "Mom, can we get these too?" While he is saying this he pulls another gourd out of his BSU sweatshirt pocket. I kinda smirked and was getting ready to tell him "sure" when I look down and he is continuing to pull out more gourds from his pockets. They just kept coming out! He is giving me the puppy dog eye look with about 6 or 7 gourds on the haybale and says, "But Mom I really like them." They really were pretty cool so I let it go and decided to get them all. They make a wonderful table arrangement so I guess it wasn't all that bad.
Once up front they had a baby pig for Sami to giggle at and beautiful Indian corn to add with our gourd collection. It was a great farm. I love being able to contribute to our local farms anyway and may come back in the spring when they let you pick your own fruit and berries. They even raise their own pigs and turkeys that they will prepare (nice word for "butcher" for you sentimental folk) for you for the holidays.



This year we were able to celebrate Halloween with Richard's sister and her family. We had a great time. Seth was off the day before Halloween so we decided to celebrate his 8th Birthday on Friday while family was in town. I don't know why we don't have a picture of him with it but Richard and I got Seth a BMX bike this year. We bought it used and fixed it up. It is a very rare Killer B that the frame sells alone for $400. Richard put new brakes, a seat, fixed the tires a little and polished it up really nice. Richard tried to warn Seth that it is a faster bike and he will have to get used to it. Of course, two days after receiving it he comes in crying with his cousin Hunter looking horrifed, "I'm BLEEDING!", Seth cried. Hunter says, "He crashed into the truck." Oh great! What in the world? I guess he was going a little fast and forgot that he now has a hand brake and ran straight into the side of the truck and got a handle bar in the teeth. Thankfully the teeth are in tact but the truck has a nice new dent with the paint scratched off. Another year has gone by and my son is 8...but what year does he stop injuring himself?



On Halloween we carved pumpkins with all the kids. This was a task with 5 children around and parents that ended up carving 8 pumpkins. In the end, all the pumpkins looked great and we were ready to get the kids ready for trick or treating...my favorite part. We headed to Aunt Karen's to gather all the families and started trick or treating around the block. We were quite the mob in the neighborhood with Richard and I, Seth and Sami, Tracy and Aaron with their three kids Hunter, Drake and Brooklyn, Cousins Amy and Dodds with their two Connor and Carter, and Anna and Hayden who were without Matt, Kara and Jacob this year. We all got together and it was great fun to watch the kids go from house to house running, walking, dragging, crying, laughing, falling and their costumes come apart more and more the farther you go. They look so great when you leave the house but by the time you're done you are holding the props, the wigs, the masks and sometimes even the candy and their face makeup is melting off their faces. Us adults have so much fun chatting and catching up. I absolutely love it! Who wouldn't?



All in all it was a great Halloween and it was extra special to have Tracy, Aaron, Hunter, Drake and Baby Brooklyn join us for the occasion. Get ready for next year!

Oh boy, that means Christmas is coming...ugh.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Cute little piggy! That looks like a super fun farm. Your kiddos looked great for Halloween. Nice makeup on Seth...very impressive around the eyes. I am horrible at doing Halloween makeup, so Mark usually does it. I love Halloween too. It's one of my favorite times of year.